Friday, December 29, 2023

Art or Not? That is the question.



ART OR NOT

Not about details...but shapes, color, and light
Is an image that is created with paint or pencil superior to an image created with an electronic device or computer program? I have always referred to myself as a photographer. For along time I thought of Artist and Photographer as two different beasts. More recently I have started to think of myself as more of an artist.  What was that evolution about?  Am I simply trying to satisfy my own ego? 

When my passion for photography first began and I took all the "usual" photos.  I took loads of people pictures, weddings, senior pictures, family events and other "ordinary" stuff.  Since my retirement we have traveled a great deal and I took loads of landscape pictures, some that could best be described as "experimental".  I was trying to see things from a different perspective, new angles, different light.  I was often quite happy with the results if that experimenting.  Most of that was done simply through camera settings, some with a little help from Photo Shop.  There is a lot of really beautiful scenery between here and California and I usually had pretty good luck getting an accurate representation of that beauty but what excited me was that sometimes I was even able to capture something more, best described as more like the essence of the place.  That was exciting and intriguing.  I wanted to do more of that and so the experimenting continued.  

Sundown in my dream.  
I have come to believe that an image or a piece of physical art such as sculpture or architecture that captures the imagination and the awe of the person looking at it and makes them want to ponder what they see, makes them feel as if they are there, or that they want to be.   If it does those things then I believe it is art.   I don't believe that the manner in which the image or thing was created matters. Too often we get hung up on technical definitions and descriptions. We do that in many areas, not only art.  We too often miss the message because we are arguing about definitions. Not all art needs to be absolute visual reality, sometimes it is OK to be something that leaves you wondering and in awe.  

I would really love to know what your thoughts are  about the question: What is Art?  Comments welcome, and encouraged?  

shadow and light

Building tomorrow

shape and color

Body Language: Created from 12 individual shots.  Thank you Photoshop for the help.
  

No comments: