Friday, August 29, 2008

Thinking Outside the Box


I was addicted to on-line photo contests. Perhaps what I was addicted to was success or at least validation. What a rush it is first thing in the morning to discover you have won a “photo of the day”. I’ve had my share of fame, probably well over 200 daily winners on 4 or 5 sites where I regularly participated as well as a few Monthly Best of Category winners. Of course the fame is short lived…a whole new batch of winners is posted the next day so as a result you have to upload a whole new batch of shots each day to stay in competition. Each site operates slightly differently. Judging protocol, categories, value and type of prizes offered, if any, number of entries you can make each day, upload requirements, rules.
For the most part site owners and judges try to be fair and impartial and for the most part the winners as a group represent good, and sometimes even great photography. What you don’t get so often is photography that strays beyond what I call “calendar art”.
Now, before you have a cow… There is nothing wrong with “calendar art”, I have a portfolio of contest winners that would fall easily into that category….and I’ve had several shots published on a few wide distribution local calendars and I was quite proud they were selected.
What I am trying to describe is what most on-line photo contests offer up. A similar and predictable fare of images. I have sometimes heard it referred to as pedestrian (lacking in vitality, imagination, distinction, etc.; commonplace; prosaic or dull) Though I would agree that certainly describes some of the fare I don’t believe that is a valid description on the whole. I would say instead that it seems commonplace and lacking in imagination because in general so few styles of Photography are rewarded so it is becomes the same thing, over and over again. I love ice cream, but even too much ice cream can be a bad thing.
After something like 6 or 7 years of avid contest participation it occurred to me that I was shooting pictures always with an eye on capturing an image that would make a good contest entry and that, I decided, was not a healthy way to grow. Something else happened at about the same time I began to question the direction I was moving, or not moving, with my photography. I retired from a 32 year career as a police officer, a career that career is, if nothing else, all about following rules and enforcing rules. For 32 years I honored a strict dress code…but within a month of retirement I was sporting a face full of whiskers, something I had not ever been allowed during my career. It’s a small thing but the point is, suddenly I was not constrained by a lot of rules and it felt good to do something different. This feeling of sudden freedom is probably not unique to retired police officers…I imagine it is common among all newly retired people.
All photo contest sites have rules, guidelines, expectations and as I said above, they generally cater to one flavor of art. Did I want to go in some new directions? Suddenly I realized I could do that. The choice was mine. For a while I want the freedom to think outside the box. Maybe some day I’ll go back into the box, where it is safe and familiar…but for now I’m enjoying some new freedom.

1 comment:

scryker said...

This really resonated with me. It's very easy to get into the habit of creating for 'someone else' but so very liberating to give ourselves the green light to think outside the box artistically.