Sunday, September 7, 2008

I See Dead People









“I see dead people” is, of course, a line from the 1999 psychological horror film, The Sixth Sense. The movie tells the story of a frightened boy (Haley Joel Osment) , who claims to be able to see and talk to the dead, and his equally troubled child psychologist played by Bruce Willis who in a surprise plot twist really is dead. 

 That line came briefly to my mind this past week just after the Republican Convention ended. For the first time since the primary elections were held here in Indiana I had a brief moment of panic or maybe despair. I’m not sure what set it off, but I think it was the sudden realization that John McCain might have produced a miracle that could save his campaign if Democrats fail to take his new team mate seriously. 

 Time to roll up my sleeves, I thought, as I logged onto http://my.barackobama.com to see if there were any local campaign activity with which I might connect. Horror of horrors…I found a half dozen “groups” that had been formed in this area during the primary season, but little or no apparent activity that seemed recent…the website, in vivid bright blue, had the quiet ambiance of a morgue. I believe the site has the backbone structure to be an awesome tool for the campaign to reach supporters as well as a vehicle for supporters to come together. Perhaps I did not understand the purpose of the website, but all I saw indicated it be being horribly under utilized by supporters. Now I’m wondering…is this organization ready for the next two months? I can’t answer for you, or the organization…but I know when I am giving everything I can to make sure George Bush’s term ends in Jan 2009. Are you giving everything? Don’t under estimate the appeal of the McCain-Palin ticket here in the heartland. Under estimating them would be a deadly mistake for Democrats. The Campaign for Change needs your time, your talent, your enthusiasm, courage, and your dollars….most of all it needs your time. Please call the Campaign for Change office here in Lafayette and volunteer. (765)429-5137 The office has moved since the primary but still easy to find at 514 Main Street. The clock is ticking.

No comments: